OnePlus is turning its focus to its mid-range portfolio after upgrading the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 8 series to Android 12. For the OnePlus Nord, the company has now launched the first public beta build of OxygenOS 12 based on Android 12.
OxygenOS 12 Open Beta 1 is now available for the original OnePlus Nord, according to a recent statement on the OnePlus Community forums, letting power users check out the new software before it is released to the general public. The release contains all of Android 12’s basic features, such as the Privacy Dashboard, camera and microphone indications, toggles, and redesigned home screen widgets, among others. OxygenOS 12 also comes with its own set of enhancements and tweaks, including a new “burdenless design” centered on light and shadow, Canvas AOD, better dark mode, Smart Battery Engine, and more.
The complete changelog for the new update is as follows:
- [Added] Smart Battery Engine, a feature that prolongs your battery life based on smart algorithms and biomimetic self-restoration technology
- [Optimized] desktop icons with improved textures, by using a design inspired by brand-new materials and uniting lights and layers
- Dark mode
- [Supported] three adjustable levels, bringing a more personalized and comfortable user experience
- [Added] new additional style options for Cards, making data contents more visual and easier to read
- [Added] access to OnePlus Scout in Shelf, allowing you to search multiple contents on your phone, including Apps, Settings, Media Data, etc
- WorkLife Balance
- [Added] WorkLife Balance feature, allowing you to effortlessly switch between Work and Life mode via quick settings
- [Supported] automatic Work/Life mode switching, based on specific locations, Wi-Fi network, and time, also bringing customized App notification profiles according to the personalization
- [Supported] switching between different layouts with a two-finger pinch gesture, intelligently recognizing the best-quality pictures, and cropping the thumbnail based on the content, making the gallery layout more pleasing
- Canvas AOD
- [Added] new diverse styles of lines and colors, for a more personalized lock screen experience with inspiring visuals
- [Added] multiple brushes and strokes and support for color adjustment
- [Optimized] software algorithm and improved face recognition to better identify the features and skin color of different figures
- [Added] HyperBoost end-to-end frame rate stabilizer
- [Added] Voice effect preview to allow you to record your voice effect or check your voice effect in real-time]
As expected, the first beta build does have some known issues, which are listed below:
- The left bottom button of the keyboard may disappear.
- Unable to browse, delete and download pictures in Cloud.
- Personal Safe may not respond.
- Anti-shake effect in Snapchat may not be obvious.
- The screen may flicker when previewing after taking pictures.
Download: OxygenOS 12 Open Beta 1 based on Android 12 for the OnePlus Nord
If you want to try out the beta build, you can download the OTA package from the link below. Once downloaded, transfer the package to the root directory of the internal storage. Then navigate to Settings > System > System Updates > Local upgrade and select the OTA package to initiate the installation. OnePlus notes that this installation method won’t erase your user data, but we still recommend taking a full backup just to be on the safe side. If you wish to revert to the stable channel at any point, you can do so by flashing the rollback package (linked below). Do note that flashing the rollback package will completely wipe your phone.